Chapter History

     A local group known as the Phi Kappa Chi had originally been a colony of Alpha Xi Delta, but had not been installed. With the approval of Alpha Xi Delta, Tri Sigma willingly accepted this group of young women who wanted to become a part of a national sorority. The group also had the support of a strong Greek system, a chapter house in a good two-story unit with sleeping quarters and facilities for a university employed housemother. 

     The installation team consisted of National Treasurer Barbara Stoe Stone and National Officers Brenda Osterman Ray, Roselyn Brancato, Cara Luster, Jenny Metcalf, Amanda Swartzbaugh, and collegians from Beta Epislon. At the banquet, held in the University Banquet Hall, the University spoke to the chapter, parents and other guests. 

     In 1853 D. Pat Henderson and the Disciples of Christ were granted a charter by the State of Missouri to establish Christian University-the first coeducational college west of the Mississippi River. During the Civil War, classes were suspended while federal troops occupied the college's only building. Robert Stockton and Mary Culver played vital roles in the college history, making generous donations for residence halls, a new gymnasium, and grants for faculty salaries. To recognize their generosity, the college trustees voted to change the name of the college to Culver-Stockton College in 1917.

  • org slide image
  • org slide image
  • org slide image
  • org slide image
  • org slide image
  • org slide image